A Powerful Afternoon at the National Center for Civil and Human Rights

Yesterday afternoon, I had the absolute pleasure of visiting the National Center for Civil and Human Rights courtesy of Disney in downtown Atlanta and I have to say, I was completely blown away.

I’ve been in Atlanta all this time and somehow never knew this incredible place existed. Talk about realizing you have some exploring to do in your own backyard! I definitely need to do better. ❤

I was fortunate enough to experience a private tour led by Dr. Quisa Foster, and from the moment we stepped inside, I was captivated. The Center is filled with so much history, culture and storytelling, creating an experience that is both deeply moving and incredibly inspiring.

One of the highlights for me was seeing an extraordinary textile work featuring the artistry of award-winning artists Zsudayka Nzinga and James Stephen Terrell. Their work explores themes of family, resilience and survival during Reconstruction, a pivotal period that both artists view as one of the most important chapters in American history.

Nzinga incorporates sewing, dyeing and printmaking into her quilt-based artwork, transforming traditional textile techniques into powerful visual storytelling. Terrell brings a fresh perspective to Cubism, creating portraits that blend paint, decorative paper and fabric.

Commissioned by the Center, the work beautifully illustrates the many ways Black Americans have woven themselves and their stories into the fabric of American history. Seeing the intricate details up close was truly breathtaking.

There was something especially powerful about standing in front of a piece that uses tapestry, paper, paint and textile traditions to tell a story of resilience and belonging. It wasn’t simply beautiful it carried meaning.

This visit reminded me that sometimes the most extraordinary experiences are right in our own city, waiting to be discovered. The National Center for Civil and Human Rights is definitely going on my list of places everyone should experience at least once.

And yes, Atlanta… I’m officially making up for lost time!

If you’re in Atlanta, put this one on your must-visit list. The history, the artistry and the stories are unforgettable.

National Civil and Human Rights Museum

100 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd NW

Atlanta, Ga 30313

 

 

The post A Powerful Afternoon at the National Center for Civil and Human Rights appeared first on Talking With Tami.



from Talking With Tami https://ift.tt/6mflGCc
via talkingwithtami

Comments

Popular Posts